Re: block ciphers & plaintext attacks

John Kennedy wrote:

<snip>
>   At what point is someone going to get burned?  I started out looking
> into it as a security and anti-tampering system -- even if someone did
> have physical possession or access to the hardware, it wouldn't do them
> a lot of good without a LOT (hopefully horribly prohibitive) of work.
> How many bits do I have to give them before my effort is all for naught?
<snip>

In short: None.
Long version: That is because you make the common mistake of
Q> encryption == integrety.
That is not so! The right equality is:
Q> encryption == confidelity.
You said, you wanted security and tamper-proofness. You got nothing of
that, since anyone could substitute blocks. If you want a system that is
tamper-proof, start by installing tripwire on that floppy disk and run
it daily (YMMV).

It is of course right that given an encrypted disk it is computationally
infeasible (at least to the extent known to the public) to make a
_subtle_ change. Poking around encrypted blocks and changing some of
them will in general yield garbage. But the point is that, given that
garbage, you cannot deduce from that whether the ciphertext has been
tampered with or the garbage was there before encryption took place.

So, I _guess_ that you want not only integrety-checking, but also
confidelity. Serpent-encryption will buy you that. It is probably the
most secure cipher known to the public at this point. But if you want
integrety, then you should additionally install tripwire, read the
Security-HOWTO and B. Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@xxxxxxxx>     http://EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)