Re: block ciphers & plaintext attacks

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 09:09:39AM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> John Kennedy wrote:
> <snip>
> >   I'm sort of looking for an experience-based answer off of the top of
> > your (or anyone's) head, but we're mixing generalities with math and
> > crypto (not a good combo).  I'm wanting to know how much encrypted-
> > knowntext you would need to really compromise the serpent password,
> > which would let you turn around and compromise the rest of the disk.
>
> For what is publicly nown, serpent is secure, no matter what. There are
> academic attacks against reduced-round versions, but the cipher as
> defined in the AES paper is secure. Yet that is no guarantee. Tomorrow
> may see a complete break of serpent, but that is unlikely, of course.
> Serpent is a 128 bit blockcipher, meaning, you can encrypt many, _many_
> Gigabytes with it before you get equal ciphertext blocks, which would
> give an attacker some hints. So no problems from that front, too. The
> most probable point of attack is your passphrase. I'd almost bet that it
> does not contain 128 bits of entropy. and if it is just an English
> sentence, it would only contain 1.3 bits/char of entropy.

  As I understand them so far, those are the words I wanted to hear.
I was actually assuming that my passphrase was what was going to be
attacked (I expected that it would be the easier of the two).

  As far as passphrase entropy, I'm a bit ignorant at the moment.  I
initially coded to be compatible with losetup, presuming that it would
be coded in a secure fashion.  Without a lot more reading, I can't say
if that is true or not though.

  I'm under the impression that the 1.3 bits/char problem is pretty common
and that one of the first things you do is run it through a one-way hash,
generating something that looks far more like random bits.  I see the
two calls to rmd160_hash_buffer(), but I haven't confirmed that what
they're actually doing is something like what I've been told.

> If you want to know about the feasibilty of a known-plaintext attack: No
> such attack is known that is faster than brute force. Yet brute-forcing
> your passphrase may be well feasible.
>
> Does that answer your question?

  Enough to spend my time productively on the passphrase, yes.  (:  Either
the current losetup code will be secure or not and, if not, I'll just
add another layer with a passphrase protecting an encrypted passphrase
to the real data on the disk.

  (Yes, you could still try to brute-force the first passphrase, but it
   and the encrypted 2nd passphrase can easily be kept apart from the
   hard-drive encrypted with the 2nd passphrase.  If rmd160_hash_buffer()
   doesn't introduce enough entropy, that ought to help a lot.)