Re: ppdd

Louis Lam wrote:

> hi,
>
> I was able to use ppdd to get an encrypted root file system and swap
> partition. Both the root file system and the swap were formatted with a
> blocksize of 1024 as suggested.
>
> Is there anyone in this list who is able to get encrypted root and swap that
> are based on blocksize of 4096?
<snip>

I hope this message from the ppdd mailing list answers your question,
but probably not as you wished:

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 09:29:32AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:
> > Nathaniel Daw wrote:
>
> > > hey,
>
> > > I'm new to the list but have been watching several days for the answer
> > > to this probably common question: I'm thinking of bumping my kernel up
> > > to a 2.3/2.4 prerelease & I want to bring my encrypted disks with
> > > me. I was planning on seeing if I could get the old ppdd patches to
> > > apply, but I wonder if (a) anyone has already done this work, or (b)
> > > anyone knows of any major gotchas that will bite me if I try to do
> > > this. Should it go smoothly?
>
> > For what it's worth, I did 2.2.14 with no problems - except I can't
> > mount partitions greater than 500Mb - is this a known problem.
>
>         It's probably an RTFM, but it's not obvious.  Partitions greater
> than about 500Meg are going to get build with a block size other then
> 1024.  They will most likely end with with a block size of 4096 or 8192.
> The doco's are pretty clear that ppdd is busted for anything other than
> block size of 1024 (THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!).  You have to rebuild the
> filesystem (mke2fs) with a block size of 1024.  WARNING - this WILL destroy
> everything on the filesystem!
>
>         My laptop is even worse.  The 12Gig drive insists on a transfer
> size of 4096 to and from the IDE drive.  That means I have to rebuild ALL
> of my partitions for 1024 block size, but the drive itself is NOT 1024,
> it's 4096.  Then I have to specify a transfer block size of 4096 when
> initializing and starting ppdd.  Sigh...
>
>         If you are going to use the block size option to the ppdd utilities
> be forewarned that there are parsing bugs.  The utilities expect exact
> parameter counts and that screws up depending on whether or not you combine
> parameters in the way the program expects.
>
> > I also used the USB patches from www.linux-usb.org with no conflict, so
> > if you only want 2.3/4 for USB you might be able to scrape by.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > --
> > Bob Hepple
> > mailto:bhepple@xxxxxxxxxx
>
>         Mike
> --
>  Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>   (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>   NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
>  PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@xxxxxxxx>     http://EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)