Re: Problem booting kernel.

Pierre PEIFFER wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
>     I'm a newby and I'm trying to test encrypted loobpack file. So I
> have to apply a patch to my kernel.

<snip>
> "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel."
>
> But nothing else, my kernel doesn't boot. As far I'm, I've not read
> something about such a problem and have no idea. So, do you see
> something wrong somewhere ? It will be very great if somebody could just
> help me to have a booting kernel.... Thank you very much.

<snip>

Is this the first time you compile a custom kernel?
It looks to me that you just added the options for the crypto stuff but
did not go through all the other options that need to be adjusted to fit
your box. The vanilla kernel tarball is not configured by any means. You
have to go through all menus and select what you need. Or copy a working
.config into the main directory and run make oldconfig. See the
Kernel-HOWTO for more.

If that is not the case and you successfully compiled kernels before,
then it might be a good idea to tell us the exact commands you used and
actions you did so we have a clue of where things could have gone wrong.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@xxxxxxxx>     http://EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)