Re: Problem booting kernel.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Pierre PEIFFER wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
>     I'm a newby and I'm trying to test encrypted loobpack file. So I
> have to apply a patch to my kernel.
>
>     I currently use kernel 2.2.13 (for some internals reason, I can not
> upgrade to kernel 2.2.17). with patch 2.2.17.10. I've read the Linux
> Encryption HOWTO from Marc Mutz (which is very well done, I think, thank
> you to him) v0.2.2 from october, 4th.
>
> (according to this howto, the latest patch should apply without rejects
> to all 2.2.1x kernels, and it really does)
>
> Once having a patched kernel, I've added the following options to my
> (previously working) kernel.

That the patch don't give rejects, does not mean that everything is
OK. There may be things in the kernel that makes things no longer works.
I would rather installed an old patch. Then you won't get the recent
features (like rijndael and 3des), but if you purpose is to encrypt
disks that should be OK if you don't need compatibility with partitions
on other computers.

Alexander Kjeldaas should be the right person to answer this question.

--
Gisle Sælensminde ( gisle@xxxxxxxxx )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)