Re: Encrypt /etc directory

kgb:

If I understand you correctly:

1) you need to store the password on some media readable by the computer because the machine may need to reboot without user intervention -- you want it to start up without typing a password.

2) you are concerned about people with physical access to the computer.

This is a reasonable collection of concerns for a co-located server (for example). But it is particularly difficult to solve.

Generally, a way to solve the "no user intervention" issue is to write the password on some media, called an access token. You could use a CD, USB drive, or a smart card.

The problem is that you will need to keep the token inserted into the computer, defeating any security advantage, I think.

The only way I can think of is for you to use an init RAM disk to acquire the token (password) from another computer, via a network connection. Then if the computer is ever stolen, you can disable this token (remotely, if need be).

This remote-token approach is at least as difficult as encrypted-root, which I think you will need anyway.

Consider using an NFS-boot ramdisk to get started.

best of luck,

-- boyd

kgb wrote:

I understand but is that mean lets say when someone steal my computer
and he can viewed all my data config files hm how can prevent this ? and
if i can't is there have a way to encrypt only some config files with
symlinks to /etc on encrypted loop device but in this way i must wrote
my crypto password somewhere because i'm not able to type password
everytime when server boot and ask for password to mount encrypted loop
device and if i wrote it somewhere on hard drive this is insecure and
for users i don't have users :) the big problem is when someone steal
server what happen can i prevent this person from mount, view my hard
drive ?

-