Re: how to fsck

Brad Brad wrote:
> Actually my loops are set on startup with an init
> script, so my fstab is plain except it uses /dev/loop2 instead of /dev/md0.
> I can happly mount and unmount it like an unencrypted drive.

Then you should be able to fsck after unmount.

> If i start the system and log in as root, mount the partition, sync, is it
> ok to do a fsck on a mounted fs as no files are open?

Fsck'ing mounted partitions is not good idea. Read-only mounted root
partition gets fsck'ed at boot but that is special case.

> This problem is most probably caused because the drives are never unmounted
> when the system shuts down, their always "busy" at the time.  I can prob fix
> that by looking into the shutdown script.s

But you said that fs type was ext3. fsck.ext3 should replay journal after
unclean shutdown, so this should not be a problem. Raid5 driver should also
tolerate unclean shutdowns.

Can you post exact commands that you use to set up raid5 and loop, as well
as fsck command that you used.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>

-