Re: patching linux utils?

>>>1. Debian's util-linux comes with support for cryptoapi right out of the
>>>box

>> Just for info, do you know if the new Debian 3 (which includes crypto)
>> has cryptoapi support in his standard version (the ISOs) ?

> No, not right out of the box. But there is hope :) For any i386 kernel-image
> i'm going to provide override packages, which replaces loop.o with an
> IV-patched loop.o, which is neccessary for cryptoapi. Further I will provide
> precompiled cryptoapi-core and cryptoloop debian packages for i386.

> Be patient, you should be able to apt-get cryptoapi support for woody in
> about a 1-2 weeks without the need to touch any source code.

It seems that this stuff is ready to go into the mainstream util-linux
distribution.  I just emailed the util-linux maintainer, and he seemed
to say that the only thing holding cryptoapi back was communication.
Perhaps with a bit of advocacy we could get the cryptoapi util-linux
patch accepted soon.

Here is my conversation with the maintainer of util-linux:

--
Mike

:wq
-