Cryptoapi problems with kernel 2.4.18

I cannot get the international cryptoapi patches
to work with kernel 2.4.18.

There are too many variables for me to solve the
problems.

I am running Mandrake 7.2, with kernel 2.4.18 and
glibc 2.1.3 on a Dell laptop.

I built the kernel without using any modules.
During start-up, the kernel reports that the
blowfish and MD5 have been loaded.

All operations were done as the superuser.

1. The HOWTO (http://cryptoapi.sourceforge.net/)
   seems to be out of date.  It makes no reference
   to kernel 2.4.  It was therefore unclear which
   kernel configuration options apply.  The HOWTO
   mentions CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP_USE_REL_BLOCK and
   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP_GEN, but I could not find
   them in my linux kernel sources.  Which options
   should I use?

2. There were issues making the patched versions
   of losetup, mount and umount.

2a Do I still need to run the script posted
   to the mailing list on 19 Jan 2002 by
   Pavel Minev Penev?  It generates a loop.h file
   which losetup.c seems to need.  Depending on
   paths, the generated file may further include

      util-linux/mount/h/loop.h

   or

      linux/include/linux/include/loop.h

   They are not the same.  Which is correct?  On my
   system, only linux/include/linux/include/loop.h
   compiles correctly.

2b The make command failed to find env.o and
   xstrncpy.o.  The solution was to add

      make -C lib xstrncpy.o
      make -C lib env.o

   after

      make -C lib setproctitle.o.

   (The HOWTO mentions setproctitle, but not
   the others.)  Is this solution correct?

3. I used the following losetup command:

      setup -e blowfish /dev/loop0 .crypto

   It gives the following error.

The cipher does not exist, or a cipher module needs to be loaded into the
kernel
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument