Re: Some ideas about crypto loop password

PGPDisk does something similar to this. It stores a
'session' key in the .pgd file. The session key is
then decrypted by a passphrase or a private RSA or
DH/DSS key.

This is something I have been curious about for crypto
loop. Is the pass-phrase hashing done in the Kernel?
(it sort of looks like the ascii key is being passed
to ioctl/losetup). Can the binary 'session key' be
passed in to the LOSETUP (ioctl)? This would allow
someone to write a utility to mount a PGPDisk on Linux
ie.

  - get the encrypted session key and type of
    encryption (CAST5-128 or Twofish-256) out of
    the .pgd file.
  - decrypt the session key using a passphrase or the
    users private key.
  - setup the loop device with the decrypted session
    key and the correct offset into the .pgd file.

I would assume the strategy is NOT to introduce
something like public/private key encryption into
the kernel?

[forgive me if this is FAQ, I've only been on the list
 for a couple months]

Thanks,
- Gregor Larson