Some ideas about crypto loop password management

Hi,

what do you think about this:

If I started my cryptoloop with an offset of 512 byte, I'd have enough space to
store the key to the fs in encrypted form on the harddisk. This part is encrypted
with a password.

If I used a predefined structure in this first 512, I would be able to detect, wether the password
was correct or not. Since this block is independend of the rest of the harddisk, it would be possible
to change the password without changing the fs-key.

Is it a risk to store a predefined structure in this 512 bytes (i dont think so, since the
beginning of an ext2 fs is also quite well known.

Is there something to keep in mind when using an offset with cryptoloop ?

Hannes

Hannes R. Boehm
email:  hannes@boehm.org
web  :  http://hannes.boehm.org