Re: difference between jari's and hvr's package

 "Newsmail" wrote:

> I would like to ask, what is the real difference between the crypto api
> package of hvr (the new testing releases for new kernels), and the
loop-AES
> package of jari. Today I see that we can use other ciphers with loop-AES
> just like with cryptoapi. then where is the real difference? we can
compile
> loop-AES to the kernel just like cryptoapi. I dont really understand why
> there are 2 releases evoluting together. could someone explain me please?
> greg

An opinion, FWIW.

My operating system is sprouting crypto software all over the place,
Loopback filesystem, SSL (TLS), mail utilities, perl stuff etc. etc. They
all seem to use their own crypto software,
I would really like it if the regular kernel required no patches for crypto
api, and required
only modules with the actual algorithms (which those who don't like modular
kernels can build in.)
This would keep the kernel politically cryto free, and yet make it easy to
fix.

As it is I keep rebuilding kernels with the wrong versions of crypto api
patches and
hoping it will work, turning off and ignoring warnings, this is not very
satisfactory.

Meanwhile if you want a crypto filesystem loop-AES seems to be easier to
install, and works
fine, the alternate ciphers strengthen it's usefulness a lot.

Regards,
Paul Hilton