difference between jari's and hvr's package

I would like to ask, what is the real difference between the crypto api
package of hvr (the new testing releases for new kernels), and the loop-AES
package of jari. Today I see that we can use other ciphers with loop-AES
just like with cryptoapi. then where is the real difference? we can compile
loop-AES to the kernel just like cryptoapi. I dont really understand why
there are 2 releases evoluting together. could someone explain me please?
greg

-