Re: difference between jari's and hvr's package

Newsmail wrote:
> I would like to ask, what is the real difference between the crypto api
> package of hvr (the new testing releases for new kernels), and the loop-AES
> package of jari. Today I see that we can use other ciphers with loop-AES
> just like with cryptoapi. then where is the real difference? we can compile
> loop-AES to the kernel just like cryptoapi. I dont really understand why
> there are 2 releases evoluting together. could someone explain me please?
> greg

Because cryptoapi works with very limited set of kernels, and with none of
the ultra stable kernels. Loop-AES works with all maintained stable kernels,
including distro vendor kernels. Meaning that if you use cryptoapi, HVR
chooses your kernel for you. If you use loop-AES, crypto adapts to _your_
choice of kernel. That is a big difference.

Another disadvantage that cryptoapi loop has, is the cryptoapi bloat that
makes it slower than loop-AES. Loop-AES does not use cryptoapi, and that is
a feature.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>
-