CPU frequency governor problem

Hi, sorry for the direct email but I’ve been unable to find a resolution
to this in forums etc.  I have a laptop with a Intel i7-7700HQ CPU and am
running Linux Mint 18.  The frequency governor is set to performance but
it keeps on throttling down to 70% or even 50% and getting stuck there,
for example:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
70

I can’t find a way to get it to throttle sensibly i.e. lower the max
when required but revert to full speed when other conditions allow. I’ve
tried the ondemand and performance governors.

thanks,
Ed