Re: How should I preprocess my source file on GNU/Linux with GNUCobol for SQL Server?

Hi jkl,

Am 09.10.2018 um 21:16 schrieb James K. Lowden:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:45:59 +0200
> Simon Sobisch <simonsobisch@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Reasonable. I'm not 100% sure if this is up-to-date and would always
>> go to its home in the GnuCOBOL contributions:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/contrib/HEAD/tree/trunk/esql/
>
> Hey, Simon, that's an interesting URL.  How do I get there from the
> main SF page?  If I go to
>
> 	https://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/
>
> and click the "code" button, I come to
>
> 	https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/code/HEAD/tree/
>
> with "branches" and "trunk".  contrib would be "up a level" from there,
> but I don't see any way to navigate to it.

Don't click on "Code" on the main page top navigation but on
"Contributions" (was up-front earlier, seems to be hidden below the
ellipsis on the right now...).

> (I think it would be better if "contrib" were part of the regular
> source tree, just like libcob and cobc.  There's no rule that
> everything in a repository has to have one owner or one license.)

There's no fixed rule for this but it is still reasonable :-)
"code" has copyrights FSF and GPL/LGP while "contrib" has only "any free
license".

"contrib" contains code that also works with other COBOL dialects
(samples/tuturials/tools). Most of it doesn't has a minimal dependency
for GnuCOBOL version N.

The main reasons to split both repositories were:
* different rights (anyone with "code" access can write to "contrib",
but not vice versa)
* different steps to get rights ("code" has copyright assignment,
"contrib" has "just present your contribution in the discussion boards")
* backup / restore considerations, considerations to move "code" to a
different hoster and/or VCS (most likely git @ gitlab; you may want to
comment/vote on [1] ;-)

> --jkl

[1] https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/45007

Simon

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]