Re: JCL (Was: Hi all)

If you’re interested in working with mainframes, an introduction is in this free book (part 6):

/Martin Ancher

Den 31/07/2015 kl. 11.01 skrev Martin Lindkvist <wartin.lindkvist@xxxxxxxxx>:

I have looked a little at some rexx scripts and its not so hard to learn ... if you know this pirate bay guy who broke in to the swedish big banks .. he used rexx scripts on z/os ... i was on a free source meet with the seecret police working with the case ... quite simple when you know how they did it :)

Jcl.
For me the jcl is a bit like language that creates environment variables to take care of things like creating datasets/files and doing the magic behind the application like linking librarys and all that ...

Den 30 jul 2015 22:28 skrev "Brian Tiffin" <bwtiffin@xxxxxxxxx>:
David Lee Lambert wrote:
> Someone sells a commercial product "J2U - the JCL-intepreter for Unix",
> http://www.itgain-is.de/en/j2u/j2u.php .  I have not used it, but a
> trial license appears to be available.
>
> Someone else provides a tool to convert JCL scripts to Korn shell as
> part of a larger suite of commercial tools, documentation at
> http://uvsoftware.ca/mvsjcl.htm .
>
> At least one Micro Focus product included a JCL interpreter, per message
> "FW: Looking for JCL interpreter for UNIX/LINUX" posted to
> bit.listserv.ibm-main on 27 Apr 2006 19:06:27 GMT (Message-ID:
> <000001c66a2d$ad9f7920$697d3947@WMK> ).
>
> "JCL-Convert is a Perlscript that converts VSE JCL to Perlscripts. The
> generated Perl Jobs start COBOL Programms under MicroFocus Cobol. This
> Release only tested with Linux".
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcl-convert/
>
> Speaking of REXX, however, in that case IBM released an implementation
> as open source in about 2005 (which may be the basis of "Open Object
> REXX") and there's also an independent open source implementation,
> Regina REXX ... http://sourceforge.net/projects/regina-rexx/ .

For anyone programming in GnuCOBOL and interested in Rexx, it can be
added to applications, from the inside, or used as another external
scripting tool.

Both OORexx and Regina have been successfully integrated into GnuCOBOL
using the C bindings.

http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol/#can-gnucobol-interface-with-rexx

The releases work very well, and are very complete implementations, umm,
from what little I know of the Rexx ecosystem.  I've only used the
bindings once so far, for practical purposes, getting at some XMIT
formatted data using a published Rexx script.

Any developer fond of Rexx programming, can leverage those skills and
any favourite scripts, when building GnuCOBOL applications.

The proof of concept samples could, and should, be extended to allow for
a very high level

     move function rexx(script, args, result-buffer) to api-result

to make things even easier to wield.

Cheers,
Brian