Re: JCL (Was: Hi all)

Someone sells a commercial product "J2U - the JCL-intepreter for Unix",
http://www.itgain-is.de/en/j2u/j2u.php .  I have not used it, but a
trial license appears to be available.

Someone else provides a tool to convert JCL scripts to Korn shell as
part of a larger suite of commercial tools, documentation at
http://uvsoftware.ca/mvsjcl.htm .

At least one Micro Focus product included a JCL interpreter, per message
"FW: Looking for JCL interpreter for UNIX/LINUX" posted to
bit.listserv.ibm-main on 27 Apr 2006 19:06:27 GMT (Message-ID:
<000001c66a2d$ad9f7920$697d3947@WMK> ).

"JCL-Convert is a Perlscript that converts VSE JCL to Perlscripts. The
generated Perl Jobs start COBOL Programms under MicroFocus Cobol. This
Release only tested with Linux".
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcl-convert/

Speaking of REXX, however, in that case IBM released an implementation
as open source in about 2005 (which may be the basis of "Open Object
REXX") and there's also an independent open source implementation,
Regina REXX ... http://sourceforge.net/projects/regina-rexx/ .

On 07/30/2015 05:54 AM, J. Leslie Turriff wrote:
> 	JCL (Job Control Language) is a sort of scripting tool for running jobs in
> the batch-oriented z/OS and z/VSE operating systems.  I don't believe there
> are any other OSes that use such a concept (the only others I've seen were on
> NCR's Century and Criterion OSes).
> 	z/OS and z/VSE applications are typically designed as series of relatively
> simple programs that are sort of 'pipe'd together with JCL, which defines the
> files that each program step uses and controls the sequence of steps
> depending on the return codes produced by each program.
> 	Another IBM operating system, z/VM CMS, uses a scripting language called Rexx
> to do this; Rexx is more like bash.
> 	Unless he works on one off IBM's z/OS or z/VSE systems, Martin will not need
> to know JCL.
>
> Leslie
>
> On Sunday 26 July 2015 20:08:43 Patrick wrote:
>>> Really?  I work as an IBM mainframe operator and JCL is still used under
>>> z/OS today, not to mention z/VSE.
>> Hi Kevin
>>
>> Martin should not take my word for it, I only asked because I know so
>> little about JCL.
>>
>> Would it be good for Martin to learn?
>>
>> -Patrick

David Lee Lambert * KD8WQF * (cell) +1 586-873-8813
IM: davidleelambert (Yahoo!, Skype and Google Talk)
"Justicia, Tierra y Libertad"