Re: GFS and CLVM-snapshot

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:11:03AM +0900, Kenji Wakamiya wrote:

> For the time being, this setup is worthy for our use.
> But in the future, we will replace GNBD with iSCSI using NetApp.
> If then, LVM is not able to be used on file-server side.
> So I'm expecting CLVM.  But, NetApp also might have some
> block-level snapshots, I guess...

If the NetApp has block-level snapshots, that would be an excellent
solution (better than any kind of host-based snapshots).

> Thank you, I tried it with CVS head of about April 8th.
> I don't know why, but "gfs_tool freeze" causes the following error:
> gfs_tool: unknown mountpoint /mnt/gfs

There's a bug in gfs_tool so it doesn't recognize fs's on gnbd devices.
You need to reference the fs using its 'list' value instead.  Here's how
it works on my machine:

[root@va03 ~]# df
rootfs                7.4G  3.2G  3.8G  46% /
/dev/gnbd/nda         7.7G   20K  7.7G   1% /gfs

[root@va03 ~]# gfs_tool freeze /gfs
gfs_tool: unknown mountpoint /gfs

[root@va03 ~]# gfs_tool list
3501862912 gnbd0 foo:a.0

[root@va03 ~]# gfs_tool freeze 3501862912
[root@va03 ~]# gfs_tool unfreeze 3501862912

> I tried also today's CVS head (cmand wasn't compiled automatically;),
> but fence_tool failed (It could not create a socket).
> FC4 branch was not able to be compiled on FC3 (SOCK_ZAPPED matter).
> I will consider using FC4-test3.

The cluster components are changing radically in CVS head and don't all
work together yet.  So, you need to checkout code from the RHEL4 or FC4
cvs branches.

Dave

--

Linux-cluster@xxxxxxxxxx