Re: CGroup unused allocated slab objects will not get released

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 08:31:18PM +0000, Saeed Karimabadi (skarimab) wrote:
> Hi  Kernel Maintainers,
>
> We are chasing an issue where slab allocator is not releasing task_struct slab objects allocated by cgroups
> and we are wondering if this is a known issue or an expected behavior ?
> If we stress test the system and spawn multiple tasks with different cgroups, number of active allocated
> task_struct objects will increase but kernel will never release those memory later on, even though if system
> goes to the idle state with lower number of the running processes.

Hi Saeed!

I've recently proposed a new slab memory cgroup controller, which aims to solve
the problem you're describing: https://lwn.net/Articles/798605/ . It also generally
reduces the amount of memory used by slabs.

I've been told that not all e-mails in the patchset reached lkml,
so, please, find the original patchset here:
  https://github.com/rgushchin/linux/tree/new_slab.rfc
and it's backport to the 5.3 release here:
  https://github.com/rgushchin/linux/tree/new_slab.rfc.v5.3

If you can try it on your setup, I'd appreciate it a lot, and it also can
help with merging it upstream soon.

Thank you!

Roman

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]