Re: Ceph XFS deadlock with Rook

2024年8月14日(水) 8:23 Raphaël Ducom <rducom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi
>
> I'm reaching out to check on the status of the XFS deadlock issue with RBD
> in hyperconverged environments, as detailed in Ceph tracker issue #43910 (
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/43910?tab=history). It looks like there
> hasn’t been much activity on this for a while, and I'm wondering if there
> have been any updates or if it’s just been lost in the issue volume.
>
> The issue is a deadlock when using XFS, leading Rook to recommend using
> EXT4 instead.
> However, kernel 5.6 introduced PR_SET_IO_FLUSHER, which should allow Ceph
> to handle this scenario better. Versions lacking PR_SET_IO_FLUSHER are
> either already EOL or soon will be, with the exception of kernel 5.4.
>
> While EXT4 works according to the Ceph documentation, the limitations with
> XATTR on EXT4 are still a concern.
> It’s a bit unfortunate that Rook has to move away from XFS where Ceph
> recommends it.
> The issue on the Rook side :
> https://github.com/rook/rook/issues/3132#issuecomment-580508760
>
> Could anyone provide an update on this Ceph issue or suggest how we might
> push it forward?
> Any insights would be really appreciated, as this impacts the broader use
> of XFS in hyperconverged Ceph setups deployed with Rook.

I've also encountered this issue. My team haven't be able to XFS for
RBD due to this problem.

I hope that someone will fix this problem, in other words, calling
`prctl(PR_SET_IO_FLUSHER)`
somewhere in the Ceph daemons' initialization code. Or if someone
teach me the appropriate
place to insert this call, I'll create a patch.

Best,
Satoru