Prometheus and "404" error on console

Although I'm seeing this in Pacific, it appears to be a perennial issue
with no well-documented solution. The dashboard home screen is flooded
with popups saying "404 - Not Found

Could not reach Prometheus's API on
http://ceph1234.mydomain.com:9095/api/v1
"

If I was a slack-jawed PHB casually wandering into the operations
center and saw that, I'd probably doubt that Ceph was a good product
decision.

The "404" indicates that the Prometheus server is running and accepting
requests, but all the "404" says is that whatever requests it's
receiving are meaningless to it. Presumably either some handler needs
to be jacked into Prometheus or the sender needs to be notified to
desist.

Unfortunately, "404" doesn't provide any clues. Ideally, ceph should
log something more specific by default, but failing that, if anyone
knows how to shut it up (cleanly), I'd appreciate knowing!

   Tim