Data recovery after resharding mishap

Hello list,

We have made a mistake and dynamically resharded a bucket in a multi-site
RGW setup running Quincy (support for this has been added in Reef). So we
have now ~200 million objects still stored in the rados cluster, but
completely removed from the bucket index (basically ceph has created a new
index for the bucket).

We would really like to recover these objects, but we are facing a few
issues with our ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

The main problem we face is that the rados objects contain binary data,
where we expected json data. The RGW is configured to use zlib compression,
so we think it can be the reason (although using zlib to decompress doesn't
work). Has anyone already faced this, and managed to recover the data from
rados objects?

Another idea we have is to update the new bucket index to inject the old
data. This looks possible as the object marker hasn't changed. We also have
access to the old indexes/shards, so we could get all the omap key/value
pairs and inject them in the new index. Has anyone been mad enough to try
this by any chance?

Any other idea to recover the data would help of course.

Thank you!

Gauvain