Re: Cephadm has a small wart

On 19-07-2024 14:04, Tim Holloway wrote:
Ah. Makes sense. Might be nice if the container build appended
something like "cephadm container" to the redhat-release string,
though.

A more concerning item is that the container is based on CentOS 8
Stream. I'd feel more comfortable if the base OS was more release-
oriented. Especially since Centos8 Stream EOL'ed back around May.

Yeah. The ceph devs are aware of that. The new release for Reef 18.2.4 and Squid are based on CentOS stream 9. CentOS 8 stream has been (or is being) phased out.

More importantly, the Ceph archives for CentOS 8 went down the Memory
Hole. That's really worrisome. Makes it questionable that it would be
easy to build from source on a blank system now.

Yanking repos is not the Linux Way. I could probably spin up a copy of
CentOS 2, because repos are still online even if no sensible person
would want it for a production server. But not so the CentOS 8
enterprise extensions. They;re gone.

There have been some discussons on ceph-dev ML if CentOS stream a good build target for Ceph containers. Some people like to see debian instead. Not sure if this will be point of discussion in the future (again). But we all agree it should be based on a OS that is still supported (and upgraded before it gets EOL).

Gr. Stefan