Re: cephadm for Ubuntu 24.04

On Thursday, July 11, 2024 4:22:28 AM EDT Stefan Kooman wrote:
> On 11-07-2024 09:55, Malte Stroem wrote:
> > Hello Stefan,
> >
> > have a look:
> >
> > https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephadm/install/#curl-based-installation
>
> Yeah, I have read that part.
>
> > Just download cephadm. It will work on any distro.
>
> curl --silent --remote-name --location
> https://download.ceph.com/rpm-18.2.1/el9/noarch/cephadm
>
> ./cephadm gather-facts
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<frozen runpy>", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
>    File "<frozen runpy>", line 88, in _run_code
>    File "/root/./cephadm/__main__.py", line 10700, in <module>
>    File "/root/./cephadm/__main__.py", line 10688, in main
>    File "/root/./cephadm/__main__.py", line 9772, in command_gather_facts
>    File "/root/./cephadm/__main__.py", line 9762, in dump
>    File "/root/./cephadm/__main__.py", line 9677, in kernel_security
>    File "/root/./cephadm/__main__.py", line 9658, in _fetch_apparmor
> ValueError: too many values to unpack (expected 2)
>
> The version that works for 22.04 also doesn't work on 24.04 and fails in
> a similar way.
>
> It just isn't that simple I'm afraid. But it _should_ be that simple,
> agreed.
>
> > You do not need any ceph package like ceph-common for example to run
> > cephadm.
>
> Indeed, which is pretty neat. If cephadm works you can basically do all
> ceph related stuff in a container. Getting cephadm to run on more
> platforms is the last mile.
>
> Gr. Stefan

Hi there,
The traceback you are hitting is a bug - there's a fix already applied to main:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/57955
I'll ask to have backport PRs get generated. I'm personally pretty clueless as
to how to process backports.

The bug is independent of how cephadm is packaged FWIW. Even if you had a
package of just cephadm built for ubuntu 24.04 it would have still hit the
problem. The code simply didn't understand all the possible syntax that can
appear in the apparmor profiles and newer versions of ubuntu appear to use
apparmor profiles with spaces in the name more commonly than older versions.

The current cephadm build process creates a "zipapp" out of a few select
python packages and the cephadm source code. If you really want to you could
wrap that, and just that, in a system package what would not need many
dependencies. However, this would need to be a bespoke package as the packages
created by the ceph project include "everything" ceph builds. But the build
script for cephadm (./src/cephadm/build.py) doesn't need any of those other
binaries to be built to work. - In case you were still curious about that and
want to tinker.