cephadm for Ubuntu 24.04

Hi,

Is it possible to only build "cephadm", so not the other ceph packages / daemons? Or can we think about a way to have cephadm packages build for all supported mainstream linux releases during the supported lifetime of a Ceph release: i.e. debian, Ubuntu LTS, CentOS Stream?

I went ahead and upgraded one of our (pre-prod) ceph nodes to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. As it is managed by cephadm and running containers this should be no problem, right? Right. Except that there are is no "cephadm" package (or any other ceph package) for Ubuntu 24.04 from Ceph repository. So, then just build those packages yourself, right? Right. After some python pyyaml 6.0.0 / cython issues in monitoring/ceph-mixin/requirements-alerts.txt and requirements-lint.txt, fixed by bumping pyyaml to 6.0.1) and a hard python 3.10 requirement (I bumped that to 3.12) I ran into an issue with "arrow_ext" breaking the build process which I'm currently trying to figure out ...

I know supporting Ceph packages for a bunch of distros is a lot of work, but having _just_ cephadm available on a wider range of platforms, would really help here. It helps avoid upgrading both Ceph and the OS at the same time. This allows the use of the latest (kernel) OS improvements, all while not touching Ceph.

Thanks,

Gr. Stefan