How to make config changes stick for MDS?

Hi All,

I'm having a crazy time getting config items to stick on my MDS daemons. I'm running Reef 18.2.1 on RHEL 9 and the daemons are running in podman, I used cephadm to deploy the daemons.

I can adjust the config items in runtime, like so:

ceph tell mds.slugfs.pr-md-01.xdtppo config set mds_bal_interval -1

But for the life of me I cannot get that to stick when I restart the MDS daemon.

I've tried adding this to /etc/ceph/ceph.conf in the host server:

[mds]
        mds_bal_interval = -1

But that doesn't get picked up on daemon restart. I also added the same config segment to /etc/ceph/ceph.conf *inside* the container, no dice, still doesn't stick. I even tried adding it to /var/lib/ceph/<uuid>/config/ceph.conf and it *still* doesn't stick across daemon restarts.

Does anyone know how I can get MDS config items to stick across daemon reboots when the daemon is running in podman under RHEL?

Thanks much!

-erich