Re: Ceph Leadership Team Meeting, 2024-04-08

2024年4月9日(火) 8:06 Laura Flores <lflores@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> I've added them!

I have a question about the role of github milestones.

The two PRs in the v18.2.3 milestone are essential for debian package users
as I described before. Are these PRs release blocker for v18.2.3 release?
Or is the merging work done as best-effort?

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/56541

I want to know this because of two reasons.

First, I'd like to upgrade my v17.2 cluster to v18.2. It's blocked for now
due to the above-mentioned two PRs. I don't want to suspend upgrading by
the release of v18.2.4.

Second, I'd like to plan the timing of my clusters as precise as possible.
To accomplish this, which PRs will be in the next stable release is the
essential information. Although I've read official documents, PRs, issues,
and slack channels to know the information for several years, I couldn't
find the strict role of milestones yet.

Of course, I read the following document.

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/dbd161df82a5b6079484649873438185aa7e1b76/SubmittingPatches-backports.rst#reviewing-testing-and-merging-of-backport-prs

Once your backport PR is open and the Milestone is set properly, the Stable
Releases and Backports team will take care of getting the PR reviewed and
tested. Once the PR is reviewed and tested, it will be merged.

However, these PRs are not reviewed yet and the milestone is not mentioned
in neither the release tracker issue nor the thread for the v18.2.3 release.

https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/65393

Best,
Satoru