Re: Mounting A RBD Via Kernal Modules

Hello Dulux-Oz,

Please treat the RBD as a normal block device. Therefore, "mkfs" needs
to be run before mounting it.

The mistake is that you run "mkfs xfs" instead of "mkfs.xfs" (space vs
dot). And, you are not limited to xfs, feel free to use ext4 or btrfs
or any other block-based filesystem.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 2:28 PM duluxoz <duluxoz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to mount a Ceph Reef (v18.2.2 - latest version) RBD Image as
> a 2nd HDD on a Rocky Linux v9.3 (latest version) host.
>
> The EC pool has been created and initialised and the image has been
> created.
>
> The ceph-common package has been installed on the host.
>
> The correct keyring has been added to the host (with a chmod of 600) and
> the host has been configure with an rbdmap file as follows:
> `my_pool.meta/my_image
> id=ceph_user,keyring=/etc/ceph/ceph.client.ceph_user.keyring`.
>
> When running the rbdmap.service the image appears as both `/dev/rbd0`
> and `/dev/rbd/my_pool.meta/my_image`, exactly as the Ceph Doco says it
> should.
>
> So everything *appears* AOK up to this point.
>
> My question now is: Should I run `mkfs xfs` on `/dev/rbd0` *before* or
> *after* I try to mount the image (via fstab:
> `/dev/rbd/my_pool.meta/my_image  /mnt/my_image  xfs  noauto  0 0` - as
> per the Ceph doco)?
>
> The reason I ask is that I've tried this *both* ways and all I get is an
> error message (sorry, can't remember the exact messages and I'm not
> currently in front of the host to confirm it  :-) - but from memory it
> was something about not being able to recognise the 1st block - or
> something like that).
>
> So, I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can't work out what
> exactly (and the logs don't show any useful info).
>
> Do I, for instance, have the process wrong / don't understand the exact
> process, or is there something else wrong?
>
> All comments/suggestions/etc greatly appreciated - thanks in advance
>
> Cheers
>
> Dulux-Oz

Alexander E. Patrakov