Re: Changing A Ceph Cluster's Front- And/Or Back-End Networks IP Address(es)

Hi.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 5:24 PM duluxoz <duluxoz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Quick Q: How easy/hard is it to change the IP networks of:
>
> 1) A Ceph Cluster's "Front-End" Network?

This is hard, but doable. The problem is that the MON database
contains the expected addresses of all MONs, and therefore, you cannot
just change them. What you can do is:

* Make sure that routing between the old network and the new one is functional
* Set at least "noout"
* Change the cluster config so that it lists two public networks (old and new)
* Remove one MON
* Adjust ceph.conf on all MONs to point it to the new MON address
* Add a new MON on the new network, wait for it to join the quorum
* Repeat the process for other MONs, one by one
* Do another rolling restart of all MONs with the correct ceph.conf,
just for good measure

Then change the network config and ceph.conf on OSD nodes and clients.

> 2) A Ceph Cluster's "Back-End" Network?

I have never tried this. In fact, any cluster that has a back-end
network not over the same physical interfaces as the front-end network
will not pass my audit. VLANs are OK. A failure of a back-end network
card on a single OSD would put the whole cluster to a halt.

The problem is described at
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-osd/#flapping-osds

> Is it a "simply" matter of:
>
> a) Placing the Nodes in maintenance mode
>
> b) Changing a config file (I assume it's /etc/ceph/ceph.conf) on each Node
>
> c) Rebooting the Nodes
>
> d) Taking each Node out of Maintenance Mode
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Cheers
>
> Dulux-Oz

Alexander E. Patrakov