Re: cephadm vs ceph.conf

>>> Should I modify the ceph.conf (vi/emacs) directly ?
>>
>> vi is never the answer.
>
> WTF ? You break my dream ;-) ;-)

Let line editors die.

> You're right.
>
> Currently I'm testing
>
>  17.2.7 quincy.
>
> So in my daily life how I would know if I should use ceph config or
> modify with vi/emacs/whatever /etc/ceph/ceph.conf ?

Use central “ceph config” unless you have an explicit reason to use ceph.conf.  Before we had central config, maintaining ceph.conf properly across clusters could be rather a pain.

There is a precedence to option values, which can be specified on the commandline, central config, ceph.conf, or via injection.  I don’t recall the order.  If you stick with the central config you mostly don’t need to worry unless you change your monitor nodes.

>>> And what about the future ?
>>
>> We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.
>
> Correct ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsb74pW7goU;
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957) Tor Johnson, Vampira, Tom Keene, Bela Lugosi | Full Movie, subtitles
youtube.com