Re: How to use hardware

Common motivations for this strategy include the lure of unit economics and RUs.

Often ultra dense servers can’t fill racks anyway due to power and weight limits.

Here the osd_memory_target would have to be severely reduced to avoid oomkilling.  Assuming the OSDs are top load LFF HDDs with expanders, the HBA will be a bottleck as well.  I’ve suffered similar systems for RGW.  All the clever juggling in the world could not override the math, and the solution was QLC.

“We can lose 4 servers”

Do you realize that your data would then be unavailable ?  When you lose even one, you will not be able to restore redundancy and your OSDs likely will oomkill.

If you’re running CephFS, how are you provisioning fast OSDs for the metadata pool?  Are the CPUs high-clock for MDS responsiveness?

Even given the caveats this seems like a recipe for at best disappointment.

At the very least add RAM.  8GB per OSD plus ample for other daemons.  Better would be 3x normal additional hosts for the others.