Re: How to use hardware

Le 18/11/2023 à 02:31:22+0100, Simon Kepp a écrit
Hi,

> I know that your question is regarding the service servers, but may I ask, why
> you are planning to place so many OSDs ( 300) on so few OSD hosts( 6) (= 50
> OSDs per node)?

> This is possible to do, but sounds like the nodes were designed for scale-up
> rather than a scale-out architecture like ceph. Going with such "fat nodes" is
> doable, but will significantly limit performance, reliability and availability,
> compared to distributing the same OSDs on more thinner nodes.

We will use the cluster only for backup large amount of data, we will love
to have much more performance but in that case the price will rise way
above the budget.

And the question why we choose to use ceph rather than more classic system
are the migration of the data when the hardware will reach end of life. The
plan is to use the capability of ceph to migrate by himself the data from
old to new hardware.

So short answer : no enough money ;-) ;-)

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH 🦫 🐸
France