Re: Debian 12 support

There are versioning and dependency issues (both of packages, and compiler
toolchain pieces) which mean that the existing reef releases do not build
on Debian. Our upstream support for Debian has always been inconsistent
because we don’t have anybody dedicated or involved enough in both Debian
and Ceph to keep it working on a day-to-day basis. (I think the basic
problem is Debian makes much bigger and less frequent jumps in compiler
toolchains and packages than the other distros we work with, and none of
the developers have used it as their working OS since ~2010.)

Matthew has submitted a number of PRs to deal with those issues that are in
the reef branch and will let us do upstream builds for the next point
release. (Thanks Matthew!) Proxmox may have grabbed them or done their own
changes without pushing them upstream, or they might have found some other
workarounds that fit their needs.
-Greg