Re: Debian 12 support

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 2:31 AM Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are versioning and dependency issues (both of packages, and compiler
> toolchain pieces) which mean that the existing reef releases do not build
> on Debian. Our upstream support for Debian has always been inconsistent

i think, to build on debian is one thing, while to have packages
downloadable at https://download.ceph.com/ is another story. Despite that
https://download.ceph.com fails to provide the updated packages, that does
not mean reef cannot build on Debian. Actually, I've been building Ceph on
Debian unstable for years.

> because we don’t have anybody dedicated or involved enough in both Debian
> and Ceph to keep it working on a day-to-day basis. (I think the basic
> problem is Debian makes much bigger and less frequent jumps in compiler
> toolchains and packages than the other distros we work with, and none of
> the developers have used it as their working OS since ~2010.)

I disagree. We've been consistently working in this area. if you take a
look at the history of the debian/ directory, you will find the answer.

to be more specific, as Thomas Goirand pointed out a couple times, the
problem lies in the release cycles of debian and ceph. Debian releases
around every two years, and each release has approximately 2 years' LTS.
while ceph releases every year, with also an LTS of 2 years. so in order to
enable debian users to use a LTS supported release of ceph. The debian
package *have to* get ready right after the upstream releases the new major
release, and before debian's release freezes. It is the timing that makes
the maintainer's life a little bit difficult.

> Matthew has submitted a number of PRs to deal with those issues that are in
> the reef branch and will let us do upstream builds for the next point
> release. (Thanks Matthew!) Proxmox may have grabbed them or done their own
> changes without pushing them upstream, or they might have found some other
> workarounds that fit their needs.
> -Greg
>
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 8:42 AM Luke Hall <luke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> Quincy
> > >
> > > because you can, as always, just (re-)build the package yourself.
> >
> > I guess I was just trying to point out that there seems to be nothing
> > fundamentally blocking these builds which makes it more surprising that
> > the official Ceph repo doesn't have Debian12 packages yet.

> > > yes, we're doing the same since kraken and put them in our own repo
> > > (either builds of the "original" ceph sources, or backports from debian
> > > - whichever is earlier available).. which is easier/simpler/more
> > > reliable and avoids any dependency on external repositories.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > All postal correspondence to:
> > The Positive Internet Company, 24 Ganton Street, London. W1F 7QY
> >
> > *Follow us on Twitter* @posipeople
> >
> > The Positive Internet Company Limited is registered in England and Wales.
> > Registered company number: 3673639. VAT no: 726 7072 28.
> > Registered office: Northside House, Mount Pleasant, Barnet, Herts, EN4
> 9EE.

Regards
Kefu Chai