Re: Encryption per user Howto

Hello Stefan,

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 11:12 PM Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/2/23 16:33, Anthony D'Atri wrote:
> > Stefan, how do you have this implemented? Earlier this year I submitted
> > https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/58569
> > <https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/58569> asking to enable just this.
>
> Lol, I have never seen that tracker otherwise I would have informed you
> about it. I see the PR and tracker are updated by you / Joshua, thanks
> for that..
>
> So yes, we have this implemented and running in production (currently
> re-provisioning all OSDs). It's a locally patched 16.2.11 ceph-volume
> for that matter. The PR [1] needs some fixing (I need to sit down and
> make it happen, just so many other things that take up my time). But
> then this would be enabled by default for flash devices
> (non-rotational). If used with cryptsetup 2.4.x also the appropriate
> sector size is used (based on the physical sector size). We use 4K on NVMe.
>
> Added benefit of using cryptsetup 2.4.x is that is uses Argon2id as
> PBKDF for LUKS2.
>
> We created a backport of cryptsetup 2.4.3 for use in Ubuntu Focal (based
> on Jammy) [2].
>
> We are converting our whole cluster using LUKS2 with the work queues
> bypassed. For the nodes that have been converted already it works just
> fine. So, as multiple users seem to be waiting for this to be available
> in Ceph ... I should hurry up and make sure the PR gets in proper shape
> and merged in main.

Thanks for the report.

However, I would like to take back a part of my previous response, where I
informed you about the "xtsproxy" kernel module. Please don't try to use
it. Reason: I recently filed a bug for its inclusion into the Zen kernel,
available for Arch Linux users, and the result is that the resulting system
stopped booting for some users. So a proper backport is required, even
though the Cloudflare patch applies as-is.

https://github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/issues/306
https://github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/issues/310

--
Alexander E. Patrakov