Re: Temporary shutdown of subcluster and cephfs

Hi Patrick.

> To be clear in case there is any confusion: once you do `fs fail`, the
> MDS are removed from the cluster and they will respawn. They are not
> given any time to flush remaining I/O.

This is fine, there is not enough time to flush anything. As long as they leave the meta-data- and data pools in a consistent state, that is, after an "fs set <fs_name> joinable true" the MDSes start replaying the journal etc. and the FS comes up healthy, everything is fine. If user IO in flight gets lost in this process, this is not a problem. A problem would be a corruption of the file system itself.

In my experience, an mds fail is a clean (non-destructive) operation. I have never had an FS corruption due to an mds fail. As long as an "fs fail" is also non-destructive, it is the best way I can see to cut off all user IO as fast as possible and bring all hardware to rest. What I would like to avoid is a power loss on a busy cluster where I would have to rely on too many things to be implemented correctly. With >800 disks you start seeing unusual firmware fails and also disk fails after power up are not uncommon. I just want to take as much as possible out of the "does this really work in all corner cases" equation and rather rely on "I did this 100 times in the past without a problem" situations.

That users may have to repeat a task is not a problem. Damaging the file system itself, on the other hand, is.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14