Re: Question about recovery priority

Hallo Josh thanks for your feedback!

On 9/22/22 14:44, Josh Baergen wrote:
Hi Fulvio,

https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/dev/osd_internals/backfill_reservation/
describes the prioritization and reservation mechanism used for
recovery and backfill. AIUI, unless a PG is below min_size, all
backfills for a given pool will be at the same priority.
force-recovery will modify the PG priority but doing so can have a
very delayed effect because a given backfill can be waiting behind a
bunch of other backfills that have acquired partial reservations,
which in turn are waiting behind other backfills that have partial
reservations, etc. etc. Once one is doing degraded backfill, they've
lost a lot of control over their system.

Yes I had found that page, which together with
https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/dev/osd_internals/recovery_reservation/
 explains the mechanism causing reservations to be waiting behind others...
However I am still on Nautilus and "sed -e 's/quincy/nautilus/' <URL>" leads to a much shorter and less detailed page, and I assumed Nautilus was far behind Quincy in managing this... in any case, I guess it's good to upgrade, and take advantage of software developments.

Rather than ripping out hosts like you did here, operators that want
to retain control will drain hosts without degradation.
https://github.com/digitalocean/pgremapper is one tool that can help
with this, though depending on the size of the system one can
sometimes simply downweight the host and then wait.

Thanks for "pgremapper", will give it a try once I have finished current data movement: will it still work after I upgrade to Pacific?

You are correct, it would be best to drain OSDs cleanly, and I see pgremapper has an option for this, great! However, in my cluster (14 servers with ~20 disks each, ~3 PB raw space: cinder ~1PB, rgw~0.9PB) I see that draining (by reweighting to 0.) works nicely and predictably for replicated pools (1-2 days) but is terribly slow for my rgw 6+4 EC pool (>week): that's why I normally reweight up to some point and then rip 1 or 2 OSDs when I am fed up. (By the way, the choice of 6+4 goes back to a few years, and was picked primarily as a compromise between space lost for redundancy and resilience to failures, when the cluster was much smaller: should make a few extensive tests and see whether it's worth to try different m+n.)

  Thanks again!

			Fulvio

Josh