Re: Question about recovery priority

Hi Fulvio,

https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/dev/osd_internals/backfill_reservation/
describes the prioritization and reservation mechanism used for
recovery and backfill. AIUI, unless a PG is below min_size, all
backfills for a given pool will be at the same priority.
force-recovery will modify the PG priority but doing so can have a
very delayed effect because a given backfill can be waiting behind a
bunch of other backfills that have acquired partial reservations,
which in turn are waiting behind other backfills that have partial
reservations, etc. etc. Once one is doing degraded backfill, they've
lost a lot of control over their system.

Rather than ripping out hosts like you did here, operators that want
to retain control will drain hosts without degradation.
https://github.com/digitalocean/pgremapper is one tool that can help
with this, though depending on the size of the system one can
sometimes simply downweight the host and then wait.

Josh