Re: Building ceph packages in containers? [was: Ceph debian/ubuntu packages build]

Hey Robert,

Robert Sander <r.sander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> The advantage of that would be having tested build environments and an
>> easy way to check if ceph version X still easily compiles on distro A
>> version B.
>
> AFAIK it is not an issue with the build environment but that the Ceph
> code depends on the latest C compiler and libraries and cephadm on a
> recent Python.
>
> So the code cannot be built on older distributions. No matter how
> sophisticated the build system would be.

Got it. My understanding was more that maintaining the build system
itself was not worth the effort, not being a hard "cannot be built"
constraint.

> I am asking the question: Why even build packages any more?

A valid question and I think the answer is that not everyone can already
deploy in containers.

> The upstream project has decided that cephadm and deployment with
> container images is the way to go. Wouldn't it be sufficient and
> easier to just build the images?

In the end I think it is a very easy question: if there is enough (>= 1)
demand for packages for $OS $OSVERSION, then someone will need to build
them. If that someone is then also publishing the resulting packages,
any other person on the same os/version can reuse that effort.

If there no one needing any os packages anymore, this is obviously not
required.

Best,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch