Building ceph packages in containers? [was: Ceph debian/ubuntu packages build]

Hello dear cephers,

we have been talking quite a bit on this list about cephadm and the
advantages and disadvantages of container based deployments. Putting
this in context with builds, would it be an option to build ceph
packages *in containers*?

The advantage of that would be having tested build environments and an
easy way to check if ceph version X still easily compiles on distro A
version B.

Here at ungleich we have quite some extensive kubernetes clusters
deployed and we could offer compute resources and storage for ceph
packages. This could potentially solve the issue of being able to have
new packages for "old" operating systems, couldn't it?

As a technical and organisation sketch, what I'd imagine is something on
the line of:

- Somebody who knows $OS $OSVERSION well creates and maintains a build
  image that takes as a parameter (URL, file, etc.) which ceph version
  to build
- This image can be used inside a k8s cluster, potentially in
  combination with something like argo workflows [0]
- Output of it can then be stored in a local ceph cluster (!) and made
  available via web for downloading [1]

This could imho reduce the workload of the main ceph team a bit and
still provide packages to the community for older operating systems.

I'd be willing to take the responsibility for the k8s/build infra, if
there are other volunteers on the list who can commit to creating &
maintaining a build image, this could benefit both parties.

What do you think? Anyone interested in going down this road of
providing package builds?

Best regards,

Nico

[0] https://argoproj.github.io/argo-workflows/
[1] Pratically speaking any nginx + PVC container will suffice

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch