Re: linux distro requirements for reef

It was a bit puzzling to me to see cephadm written in python too. Putting everything in containers made things much more portable, but then basing the orchestration system on something that has heavy dependencies like python seems counter to the goal. Perhaps more of that functionality is planned to move into containers long term so that it too is more platform independent? Ideally, it should be possible to get to the point where the distro really doesn't matter.

From: Marc <Marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 12:00 PM
To: Gregory Farnum; Konstantin Shalygin
Cc: ceph-users; dev
Subject:  Re: linux distro requirements for reef

Check twice before you click! This email originated from outside PNNL.

> The immediate driver is both a switch to newer versions of python, and
> newer compilers supporting more C++20 features.

But this is known for 'decades', don't you incorporate this in your long term development planning? It is not like you are making some useless temporary photo or messaging app. Some do not even choose to use python, just because of this.
It sounds a bit like stepping on purpose in a pool of water, and then complain about that you get wet from it.