Re: linux distro requirements for reef

The immediate driver is both a switch to newer versions of python, and to
newer compilers supporting more C++20 features.

More generally, supporting multiple versions of a distribution is a lot of
work and when Reef comes out next year, CentOS9 will be over a year old. We
generally move new stable releases to the newest long-term release of any
distro we package for. That means CentOS9 for Reef.

We aren’t dropping any distros for Quincy, of course, which is our current
stable release.
-Greg