Re: rados df vs ls

> On Jul 14, 2022, at 11:11 AM, Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Den ons 13 juli 2022 kl 04:33 skrev stuart.anderson <anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> On Jul 6, 2022, at 10:30 AM, stuart.anderson <anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am wondering if it is safe to delete the following pool that rados ls reports is empty, but rados df indicates has a few thousand objects?
>>
>> Please excuse reposting, but as a Ceph newbie I would really appreciate advice from someone more knowledgeable if it is safe to delete a pool with an empty "rados ls" output even though "rados df" reoprts a a few thousand objects (in a cluster with 500M objects)?
>
> "Safe" depends more on if any client will be looking for these objects or not.

Since the only client I am interested in for this pool is CephFS, and find+getfatter doesn't report any references I am going to go for it.

> Still, small pools can be dumped to an output file with "rbd export"

Good idea. I used rados export instead of rbd export and that generated the following trivially small 52 Byte output file that is much smaller than the 9 GB reported by rados df, and is presumably just some metadata,

[root@ceph-admin ~]# rados -p fs.data.user.hdd.ec export rados.fs.data.user.hdd.ec.export

[root@ceph-admin ~]# od -x rados.fs.data.user.hdd.ec.export
0000000 ffce ffce 0002 0000 0012 0000 000a 0000
0000020 0101 000c 0000 ffce 0a0a 0000 0000 0000
0000040 0000 0101 000c 0000 ffce 0b0b 0000 0000
0000060 0000 0000
0000064

[root@ceph-admin ~]# rados df
POOL_NAME                   USED    OBJECTS ...
fs.data.user.hdd.ec      9.0 GiB       2319

> IIRC, so I would try that first, to a place with decent amount of
> space so I had a backup.
> Then remove the pool and if no system or client notices for a
> reasonable amount of time, stop keeping the backup. If something
> needed the "hidden" objects, re-import the pool again.
>
>> Is there another way to find the objects that rados df is counting?
>
> See if there is an option to list "all" objects or from all namespaces
> or similar, that could turn up something.

Another good idea. However, the rados ls command is still empty with the optional --all.

Thanks.

---
anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx