Re: Best way to keep a backup of a bucket

Hi,

Thank you, versioning was my bet too but this object lock looks interesting, I’ll give a try.

Istvan Szabo
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Agoda Services Co., Ltd.
e: istvan.szabo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:istvan.szabo@xxxxxxxxx>

On 2022. Mar 31., at 15:24, Darren Soothill <darren.soothill@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Email received from the internet. If in doubt, don't click any link nor open any attachment !
________________________________
Hi Istvan,

There are a couple of things that can be used to protect data in a bucket.

Object Lock.

This ensures that NEW objects added to a bucket will have a rule applied that will prevent an object from being deleted for a given period of time.

Object Versioning

This is most like snapshot functionality in that you can get pack to the previous version of an object by specifying the version id in a get request.

So neither of these two things will protect you against a Ceph crash. For that you need replication to a second independent system.

There are a number of RGW sync modules https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/radosgw/sync-modules/ which can achieve that.

Darren Soothill

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io/

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263
Web: https://croit.io/ | YouTube: https://goo.gl/PGE1Bx