Re: Best way to keep a backup of a bucket

Hi Istvan,

I have some critical data in couple of buckets I'd like to keep it somehow safe, but I don't see any kind of snapshot solution in ceph for objectgateway.

I think a snaphsot is not a backup, but I know my views on this topic are not necessarly marketing compatible modern :-)

How you guys (if you do) backup RGW buckets or objects what is the best way to keep some kind of cold data if ceph crash?

The solution I propose at this time is zone syncing between different sites, if bandwidth allows.

Object versioning and locking on top of that will be quite valuable, too.

For S3 objects, I was recently working on a solution to integrate with a backup solution which would then provide some additional user friendlyness and provide some auditing and reporting. This was for a specific project and is not (yet) ready for any release, but may become a product, probably open source.

Me being totally clueless of Ceph, and the project being a paid one for a customer, I am reluctant to publish anything at this time, but if you're interested, we can definitely discuss :-)

Cheers,

Arno