Re: advise to Ceph upgrade from mimic to ***

You can upgrade straight from Mimic to Octopus without a full outage window.

One thing to keep in mind that wasn't spelled out clearly in the docs (I
thought): you will have to bounce all components twice to get the full
benefits of MSGRv2. After you bounce everything in the correct order and
run the require release and enable_msgrv2 command as per the docs,
everything will still be running V1. You then need to bounce everything a
second time to start leveraging V2. ceph -s or anything does not really
indicate this, you need to look at which ports the components are listening
on to see if they are making use of V2...

You may also want to turn off the quick fsck/OMAP upgrade the first time
you start the OSDs as they will take a bit longer to start when doing that,
especially if the OMAPs are large.

Also also, there were some bugs in versions as late as at least 15.2.12
that would would leave the OSDs in a bad state sometimes when using the
threaded fsck and/or doing the OMAP upgrade at OSD startup, so in addition
to turning it off on boot, I had run bluestore tool explicitly against the
OSDs to perform the process while the OSDs were down.

Indications are, I think, that the bugs mentioned above are fixed but
YMMV... and as always, test before running against a live cluster and good
luck.