Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

On 11/18/21 14:09, Maged Mokhtar wrote:
Hello Cephers,

i too am for LTS releases or for some kind of middle ground like longer release cycle and/or have even numbered releases designated for production like before. We all use LTS releases for the base OS when running Ceph, yet in reality we depend much more on the Ceph code than the base OS.

Another thing we hear our users want, after stability, is performance. it ultimately determines the cost of the storage solution. I think this should be high on the priority list. I know there has been a lot of effort with Crimson development for a while, but from my opinion if Ceph was run by a purely commercial company, getting this out the door as quickly as possible would take priority.

That is in line with the results from the last Ceph User Survey (2021):

https://ceph.io/en/news/blog/2021/2021-ceph-user-survey-results/#based-on-weighted-category-prioritization

So there is a dedicated group of people involved in the "next gen" OSD storage sub system, which is a big endeavor. In the mean time there are several developers improving the current implementation incrementally. Zac is doing a great job improving the documentation. Cephadm team is working on improving management. As as I have read correctly they will have access to a large cluster to improve ... the next thing on the prio list: scalability, in this case scalability of the management system.

If there is a separate "quality" team for the No. 1 priority: Reliability? I don't know. Maybe that is just implicit in the project, to make things reliable by default? That might be an interesting thing to ask in the upcoming user+dev meeting ...

Gr. Stefan