Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

Hello Cephers,

i too am for LTS releases or for some kind of middle ground like longer release cycle and/or have even numbered releases designated for production like before. We all use LTS releases for the base OS when running Ceph, yet in reality we depend much more on the Ceph code than the base OS.

Another thing we hear our users want, after stability, is performance. it ultimately determines the cost of the storage solution. I think this should be high on the priority list. I know there has been a lot of effort with Crimson development for a while, but from my opinion if Ceph was run by a purely commercial company, getting this out the door as quickly as possible would take priority.

We may have different opinions on priorities but one thing for sure: Ceph is the best storage solution hands down, so kudos to all involved.

/Maged