Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

On 11/17/21 16:19, Marc wrote:
The CLT is discussing a more feasible alternative to LTS, namely to
publish an RC for each point release and involve the user community to
help test it.

How many users even have the availability of a 'test cluster'?

At least 5 (one physical 3 node). We installed a few of them with the exact same version as when we started prod (luminous 12.2.4 IIRC) and upgraded ever since. Especially for cases where old pieces of metadata might cause issues in the long run (pre jewel blows up in pacific for MDS case). Same for the osd OMAP conversion troubles in pacific. Especially in these cases Ceph testing on real prod might have revealed that. A VM enviroment would be ideal for this. As you could just snapshot state and play back when needed. Ideally MDS / RGW / RBD workloads on them to make sure all use cases are tested.

But these cluster have not the same load as prod. Not the same data ... so still stuff might break in special ways. But at least we try to avoid that as much as possible.

Gr. Stefan